“The Pantheon, Rome”
The original Pantheon was built by Marcus Agrippa in the year 27 BC and the inscription reads: “Marcus Agrippa, son of Lucius, Three times Consul”. Marcus Agrippa had a reputation of ruling with fairness and honesty to all an he was responsible for designing much of Rome’s
aqueduct system. After a fire, the Pantheon was rebuilt by the Emperor Hadrian and in 1646 Pope Urban VIII added the two clocktowers, The pontiff Urban’s changes did not meet with the approval of the populance, the twin clocktowers becoming known as “The Ass’s Ears”. Although depicted herin, the two towers are no longer there, having been removed in the late 1800’s.
Artistic liberties have been taken in this interpretation of an oil painting by Giovanni Antonio Canal, known as “Canaletto”.
Framed size: w 18 1/2” x h 25 1/2”
Drawing only: w 12” x h 18 3/4”